Read Aloud: the Hit List


As promised, here is my family’s list of Read Aloud favourites.

To qualify these titles were:

  • sung out instantly when I asked for nominations
  • leapt out of the shelves as we craned our necks on a book spine survey to check we hadn’t left anything out
  • are battered and dog-eared from repeated re-readings
  • & have contributed to family catch-phrases and coded communications -

having passed those stringent requirements, we honour the following!

Harry Potter J.K. Rowling any/all volumes

Reading aloud let our younger daughter join in the Potter related games and discussions our elder daughter enjoyed as she read them, and allowed us to monitor/soften the impact of some of the darker and scarier episodes.

The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark - Jill Tomlinson

We’ve read this one aloud so many times we know it by heart. We love it so much we have the audio tape too, and still it has us smiling.
This story of Plop the young owl with an empty stomach and fear of the dark is written for younger readers, but we all pause to listen. Soothing, funny and wise. A delight all round.


White Boots (or Skating Shoes) Noel Streatfeild
Streatfield is a bit dated now, but this story of a young girl who takes up skating and finds she has the stuff of champions is a perennial and down-the-generations favourite. My own mother loved it and bought a copy for me on a market stall when I was only months old. I loved it too, but have to say the world has moved on so much that although it’s a well-crafted story, I was very surprised when my daughters clamoured for more after the first chapter. I’ve read it out loud cover to cover 3 times now, which I think is my limit.

I ice skate like Mary Poppins, say Beka and Rhianna, but thanks to White Boots they have poise, balance and fun on the ice.

J.K Rowling is a fan, and so is Kathleen in You’ve Got Mail!


Ramona - Beverley Cleary any or all, in any combination

Beka says Ramona the Pest is her favourite, but we love them all. Again, from a ‘simpler’ time; the lack of tv, mobiles and toys ‘r us clutter lets the inventive ingenuity and endearing personalities of Ramona , big sister Beezus and cast of supporting parents, friends and neighbours shine through. Like The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark, this story enchants young and old alike. My husband is a particular fan.


The Mennyms – Sylvia Waugh a series of 5 books

Inventive, fun and a little bit different for that 6-9 age group it can be hard to suit.


The Borrowers - Mary Norton

These booked have been turned into a film and BBCTV has made a lovely classic serial of the stories, but they are best of all read aloud.
We never make pancakes without saving the tiny ones made by a splash of batter on the pan for the Borrowers who live in our house.


The Perfect Hamburger - Alexander McCall Smith

Although he hit the headlines with the No1. Ladies Detective Agency, polymath Prof. Smith has been writing for years. This story of a boy, a man and a mixing bowl against big business is heart-warming and funny. (And short!)


His Dark Materials - Phillip Pullman

This is definitely for older children ( thoughtful 10 year olds up) and a harder read aloud experience, but not to be missed. The writing is superb, the storyline inventive and memorable, but always plausible. The heroine Lyra is intelligent, tough and feisty, while for the boys, there’s Will –sharp, resourceful, determined.

Be prepared for, but not put off by, some challenging questions on family, life, loyalty, science and religion.

Pullman’s stories of Victorian era woman detective Sally Lockhart are marvellous reads too.

Sabriel/Lirael/Abhorsen - Garth Nix (a trilogy)

While I have read the whole of the His Dark Materials through back to back, starting the next book hard on the heels of the one we’d just finished, I found I couldn’t do that with Nix’s trilogy. Good, absorbing reads,though, but not for the faint-hearted.


Stravaganza Mary Hoffman http://www.stravaganza.co.uk/

Another parallel world, and like His Dark Materials, very well done. Touching, memorable, atmospheric with strong and good-hearted female and male ‘leads’. There's a website too.


5 comments:

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Great list! As a child I loved to hear my parents read Winnie the Pooh and The Hobbit, and the Narnia books. My oldest son always loved Charlotte's Web and The Trumpet of the Swan.

M said...

Great list! I'll have to check some of these out!

Jane said...

Thanks there are some new titles here for me. Ramona books are my all time favorites. I just related so much to that girl!

Anonymous said...

I am working on a read-aloud list right now. Thanks for the ideas!

Amy said...

Have you read the other Noel Streatfeild Shoes books? The only one I can think of at the moment is Traveling Shoes, but he has a whole series of them. I loved them when I was about 10.

Zing Things to your inbox

Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz